Tips For Moving!
We don't move every day and often we can forget some of the small items that ensure our next move will go smoothly! Whether you are home owner or tenant the following Moving Day Tips can save you time and ensure your next moving goes smoothier.
The following items can be done in advance! I often suggest you do them approx. 2 weeks in advance.
- Notify utilities - transfer or discontinue. BC Hydro, Fortis Natural Gas, Internet (Shaw Cable or Telus)
- Make arrangements in advance for all services at your new home so that all utilities are turned on for you on the day you are moving in.
- Notify Post Office of change of address. Forward your mail Online with Canada Post or in person at the main post office.
- Update your billing address for credit card, banking and online shopping
- Update your Drivers License address : This can now be often done on online. Click Here
- Notify doctor, dentist, schools and government offices
- Try to avoid moving on the 1st or 15th of the month. Moving on these days can be more costly. However sometimes you can't avoid it.
- If you still use a regular phone, don't disconnect it until after you have moved. This way we can still reach you for any last minute items.
- Book a moving company or Rent a moving van
Packing is a great time to get rid of items you haven't use in a while. Clothes in good condition can be donated to Big Brothers Big Sisters, Furniture can be Donated to Hospice or sold. Often my clients sell or give away items using Facebook Market Place - Click here. You will need a facebook account to use it.
Helpful Packing Tips
- Try to not overload draws or boxes.
- Discard flammable
- Take your breakables or valuable with you.
- Ensure liquids in bottles are securely fastened
- Pack the items you need for the 1st night in your home in a separate box eg. dishes, towels
- Don't leave trays loose eg. in the fridge.
- Empty all dresser draws and tape shut
- Check your cabinets, attic, crawl space prior to moving day.
- Number or name all of your boxes and furniture according to the rooms
- Defrost your refrigerator the day before moving
- Any fixtures fastened to the wall, drapery tracks, etc. should not be taken.
- Pack a small tool box with you for the move. i.e. hammer, screwdriver, drill, picture hooks, nails and a flashlight